by Daniel Bresnan
Sunday July 16th saw the inaugural running of the Tipperary Wheeler’s Road Race.
Ideal racing conditions in Golden for the days racing.
An undulating course with lots of drags and false flats to be had it proved to be a great racing course with lots of attack opportunities.
A1/A2 Willie Slattery Memorial Race:
There were attacks from the gun in the A1/A2 event,
a sizable break of 16 riders or so formed on the 2nd lap of the race and established a gap pretty quickly. With such a big break the riders then began to attack each other.
Eoin O’Connell Killarney CC and Jamie Blanchfield (Panduit Carrick Whls) got clear of their breakaway companions and established a gap of 25 seconds.
This saw the break away loose cohesion as riders tried to jump across to the two leaders. This lack of cohesion behind saw the gap to the leader increase on the final lap.
The bunch never stopped chasing behind meaning the guys in the break had to work a hard to hold there advantage.
Cathal Moynihan and Cathal Purcell tried valiantly to get across to the leaders but never managed to make contact,
but did manage to get away from the rest of the breakaway.
Inside the final few kilometers the leaders the two leaders would not be caught.
In a two up sprint to the line it was Eoin O’Connell of Killarney CC who bested Blanachfield (Panduit Carrick Whls) for the win.
Having got clear from the other breakaway riders Cathal Purcell (Panduit Carrick Whls) just piped Cathal Moynihan to 3rd spot. The rest of the break moped up the rest of the top ten. With the bunch coming in not to far behind.
In the Eoin Bresnan Memorial Race two riders got clear of the bunch on the 2nd lap of the 3 lap race
and held onto a 30 second gap. Stephen Geragthy of Burren Racing took 1st place and the Eoin Bresnan Memorial Cup followed by Shem Cullen of Panduit Carrick Wheelers. The bunch coming home to taking the remaining places.
In the A4 race also completed 3 laps, Armines Meskauskas of South Tipp Cycling Club showing his strength getting away from the A4 bunch to take a fine win.
Willie Slattery Memorial Cup (A1/A2) (100km – 4 laps)
1. Eoin O’Connell Killarney CC
2. Jamie Blanchfield Panduit Carrick Wheelers
3. Cathal Purcell Panduit Carrick Wheelers
4. Cathal Moynihan Tralee Manor West iBike
5. Colm Sheehan Blarney CC
6. Constantine Bartels Waterford Racing
7. Simon Ryan Strata 3 Velo Revolution
8. Daragh O’Mahoney O’Leary Stone Kanturk
9. Richard Maes Killarney CC
10. John Hodge Dungaran CC
Eoin Bresnan Memorial Cup (A3) (75km – 3 laps)
1. Stephen Geragthy Burren Racing Team
2. Shem Cullen Panduit Carrick Wheelers
3. Richard O’Brien Killarney CC
4. Andrew Farrell Wexford Wheelers
5. Anthony Gahan Limerick CC
6. Micheal Shine McCarthy
7. Micheal Looby Strata 3 Velo Revolution
8. James O’Connor Tipperary Wheelers
9. Brendan O’Sullivan Killorglin CC
10. Pierse Butler UDCC
A4 Road Race (75km – 3 laps)
1. Armines Meskauskas – South Tipp CC
2. Joe Ahern Cashel- Rock Peddlers
3. Sean O’Riordan – Valley Wheelers
4. Shane White – Raparee (Dundrum)
5. Martin Byrne – Unattached
6. Kevin Dunne – Cycle 4 Sick Children
7. Dwayne Ahern – Unattached
8. Gordon Booth – Laois